systemctl versus service

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 18:55:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 14:07:33 -0400
Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> This takes a LONG time until the failed message appears. 'ps axu|grep
> hip' shows the service is running. but status shows:

I suspect some of the comments in the init.d file are confusing it.
I seem to recall we have a similar problem where there was some
old comment in the header of the script like:

# pidfile: /var/run/yaddayadda

(I just invented that, but it was something like that) and it
turned out systemd was trying to be "helpful" and parsed
the comment to detect the /var/run file it "just knew"
would be created. Deleting the comment completely made it
stop looking and it started fine after that.