F20 Where's my system mail?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Apr 17 20:56:24 UTC 2014

Heinz Diehl wrote:

> With mydestination you specify your local domain(s). Example:
>
>  mydestination = fritha.org
>
> All mail handled by postfix which goes to .fritha.org will be
> delivered locally. When there's no local user for it, the mail will be
> undeliverable and bounce. Mail to .fritha.org will not be send to the
> smarthost or elsewhere. You can say that this postfix is the mail server
> for fritha.org.

Thanks again for your response.
As I said, my configuration seems to work fine,
but I'm still puzzled by several settings, including this one.

I have set
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
which seems to cover everything: on my server,
mydomain is gayleard.eu and my hostname is alfred.gayleard.ue

All the email I get contains headers like
alfred.gayleard.eu (Postfix) with ESMTP id

Which of these describes where "mail is sent to"?
I actually get all my email by fetchmail from various mail servers.
None of my mail is addressed by the sender to "*.gayleard.eu".
So it seems to me these headers must be added by postfix
or possibly by fetchmail.
But if postfix has added these headers it doesn't seem to make sense
for postfix to ask if *.gayleard.eu is "mydestination".

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net