Need advice

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 23:45:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:

> OL or LOL? :)
>
> Red Hat Announces Availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta
> >>  December 11, 2013 <<

The RHEL 6.5 source was out Nov 21
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/press-archive/2013/11/red-hat-launches-latest-version-of-red-hat-enterprise-linux-6

By Nov 27 ORCL had a corresponding OL 6.5 release.
https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/el-errata/2013-November/003829.html

Dec 1st came CentOS, 2013
http://www.techienews.co.uk/973494/centos-6-5-released/

So... I'm happy to see that RHAT has joined forces with the community to
get CentOS get releases out faster. ;) And since we're talking beta not
final versions, I guess I little delay is no big deal.

In the end we all benefit from competition, case in point:

Linux containers (LXC),
https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/entry/oracle_linux_containers_continued

DTrace support ported from Solaris
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-dev/dtrace-on-linux-1956556.html

PHP 5.5.10 with Dtrace enabled...
https://oss.oracle.com/projects/php/

Newer kernels for testing @ Playground
http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL6/playground/latest/x86_64/

So, I kinda welcome some much needed competition to RHEL. Specially on the
pricing front if you want faster fixes via paid support
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1519/3skj.png

But that is just me. I also have a CentOS box just to have the baseline
code that everyone runs....
Competition IS good, "a rising tide lifts all the boats", so to speak.

FC
act
- George Orwell