Need advice

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Fri Apr 18 05:59:50 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-16 22:19, Rachmayanto Surjadi wrote:
> Thanks a lot to everybody who responded my question. I got the
> impression that for production better use non-Fedora (Centos, RH) so
> as to minimize the frequent-updates work. For development stage it
> seems that using Fedora would not be a big issue. I will consult my
> programmer about this advice, since he usually works with Fedora.
>
> Just interesting fact: my colleague has run an apps with MySQL DB, on
> Fedora 6 from 2008 in desktop-configured as server, found no issue
> until now and never upgrade the Fedora.
>
> Regards, Rachma

As you have read, it would be better to use CentOS over Fedora.

I work with someone that is more or less in your shoes.  He has various
versions of Fedora running.  All behind a firewall with no outside
access.  No updates is one of the reasons.  Less to screw up on.
Another reason is consistency over the years.  F20 is a major change
from F14.

As time is precious, I would save headaches and look at Centos over
Fedora of a commercial or deployed product.  Presently in F20, I know of
at least one application that has been broken from install and still not
working.  In F19, I have a couple of applications that are broken as
well.  Both are supported but there is no insurance that broken
applications will be fixed.

My father ran a few servers and he swore by Centos over Fedora for
running servers.

Security is always an issue.  I wouldn't run anything with critical data
on a system that isn't getting updates.  The risks are just too high.

Robin