F20 Where's my system mail?

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Fri Apr 18 16:29:25 UTC 2014

On 17.04.2014, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> alfred.gayleard.eu (Postfix) with ESMTP id

> Which of these describes where "mail is sent to"?

None. This is why they are called "Received:".

> I actually get all my email by fetchmail from various mail servers.
> None of my mail is addressed by the sender to "*.gayleard.eu".

It's postfix which finally delivers these mails to you. Fetchmail
connects to it via localhost. Look here:

 alfred.gayleard.eu (Postfix) with ESMTP id BF4C622D57 for
 [....]

Your local machine which claims to be "alfred.gayleard.eu" and which
has the IP 127.0.0.1 has received mail for "for" (which your header
lacks - a simple c&p fail).

> So it seems to me these headers must be added by postfix
> or possibly by fetchmail.

It's postfix. Look again, it says "by alfred.gayleard.eu (Postfix)..."

> But if postfix has added these headers it doesn't seem to make sense
> for postfix to ask if *.gayleard.eu is "mydestination".

It makes perfect sense, because this is the domain your postfix is
the final destination for. Postfix will attempt to deliver all mail to
this domain locally.