Need advice

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 09:07:11 UTC 2014

On 19 April 2014 04:31, Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:
> On 04/15/2014 10:40 PM, Digimer wrote:
>>
>> Please don't do that. Fedora is awesome, but it's a desktop OS, not a
>> server OS. The life cycle is way to short and it's not hardened like a
>> server-focused distro. RHEL/CentOS would make a much better OS, and if
>> you needed something newer than it offers, check the EPEL repo.
>
> Bull. It absolutely is QA'd and it absolutely is hardened. It is
> protected by essentially the same or even newer security technologies as
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux - SELinux, SSL, disk encryption, iptables, etc.

No firewall... ;) (for those following the devel list, for everyone
else it *does* have a firewall. For the time being.)

> The life cycle is short, sure, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
> In fact, with everything moving more towards ephemeral (cloud)
> computing, Fedora may actually have an *advantage* over RHEL for some
> workloads. There is no distro which is perfect for all workloads, but
> that does not mean that any distro automatically sucks for one workload.
> The answer, as always, is "it depends."

I'd certainly say it depends, and since the original question was
about developing a system to run on a platform that's what prompted me
to point to the short life cycle originally. The more stock work
you're doing the less it matters, and for something that's mainly
MySQL maybe it doesn't matter that you are changing the system you run
on annually or every six months (provided things are set up so
reinstalling OS causes minimal pain). But there are plenty of
situations where having to update all the components you use will mean
you have to do quite a bit of porting work, and the difference between
a new release and a stable one is mainly that major version numbers
will get changed on things.

For the OPs original question, about motherboard chipsets, it does
apply generally to Linux rather than Fedora, but generally intel
chipsets are well supported. If not going for server kit which is
certified to run linux then you will be either: googling for the
motherboard model and "linux" to find other people who've used it or
buying it and trying. However for those intel chipsets that have been
around for a while it's probably enough to check linux support for
them e.g. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_z77_chipset&num=1
and unless there's some added feature you think you'll need you're
probably good.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk