advice needed before changing inotify max_user_watches

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sun Apr 20 06:09:59 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 14:11:24 PM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> I don't know how the system sets this value.  8192 seems rather small to me.

good point, thanks. This, in fact, is a side question that I forgot to
ask in my original email: what are the criteria or rule of thumb to
calculate which value of max_user_watches is sensible? Does it depend
on number of files, RAM amount, what else?

> And there is nothing in my sysctl.conf to override.

same here, but I understand that I should __ADD__ that setting at the
end of the file. But this is another point on which I am seeking
confirmation/feedback, instead of risking to stop work for a day to
fix some problem...

    Marco
--

M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com                   http://stop.zona-m.net