Fedora 20 freezes at the login screen. System Temperature over limit.

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Sun Apr 20 17:25:55 UTC 2014

On Apr 20, 2014 9:59 AM, "Ed Greshko" <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> On 04/20/14 11:26, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> > Although I appreciate Dhaval commenting but response sounded like
off-topic.

> Not so sure that his suggestions where that off topic.  But anyway...
>

> > If I were to see any process eating CPU would have solved the problem
but as far as I can see there are no obvious indicators of the problem.

> I hope you don't think people should assume what work you have and have
not done.  I hope you don't assume your experience level is well known by
everyone here.  Sometimes it is helpful to have others look at what you've
tried.  Many times on this list I've watched and laughed at folks who blow
off others and don't answer queries simply because they didn't think it
relevant only to have it turn out to be so.

I didn't mean to blow off anyone. I tend to check powertop and top as first
things and didn't notice anything unusual.

> > When I boot into command line (by disabling display manager) it seems
to work fine. KDE with kernel 3.11.10 works fine. And kernel 3.13.8 and 9
won't boot at all but kernel 3.13.10 might boot from time to time.

> To me, all of what you said is confusing....
>
> When you boot into level 3 it seems to work fine.  Are you saying it
works fine for all kernels or only 3.11.10?  And, does it continue to work
fine if you do "startkde" or does the problem show itself when you switch
to graphics (KDE) mode?

> What does "won't boot at all" mean?  You get a kernel ooops?  It gets
stuck? Blank screen?   Have you tried booting with rhgb quiet removed to
see if any errors are reported?

In graphical interface (run level 5) system freezes at after I enter login
details. It only freezes with upgraded kernels received by my system
3.13.8/9/10.

In multi-user interface (run level 3) system works fine in kernel 3.11.10
and is flooded with nouveau error on kernel 3.13.8/9/10.

> In your bugzilla I see the lines in one of your attachment....
>
> Apr 09 17:21:14 fedora thinkfan[586]: WARNING: Using default fan control
in /proc/acpi/ibm/fan.
> Apr 09 17:21:14 fedora thinkfan[586]: WARNING: You're using simple
temperature limits without correction values, and your fan will only start
at 55 °C. This can be dangerous for your hard drive.

> Have you considered looking into that?

These are cautionary messages. Fan is working fine.

> Additionally, what does " lsmod | grep acpi" show?   Curious to see if
thinkpad_acpi is being loaded.

thinkpad_acpi must be loaded otherwise think fan won't work.

> > Fleeing to another distribution is a sign of uber desperation and not
threat as you say. It's morning here and I am troubleshooting my system
instead of getting my work down.

> And it is Sunday or Saturday night and many *volunteers* are still
sleeping or still having other fun.   Sorry to hear you're troubleshooting
your system and haven't gotten any work done since 4/8 when you filed the
bugzilla.  I still see no point in telling folks you're going to be
"forced" to flee to another distro.

You are right.