Disable whatever is cleaning /tmp

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Apr 21 03:11:58 UTC 2014

On Apr 20, 2014, at 2:00 AM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/18/2014 12:56 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Tucker wrote:
>>
>>> That's helpful, thanks.  There appear to be a number of services that
>>> depend on the tmpfiles.d conf files.  I don't want to break things like
>>> kmod, I just want this thing that's doing Bad Things to my transient files
>>> in /*/tmp/* directories to stop.
>>>

>> Maybe the right answer is to file a bug report rather than workaround it?
>
> Surely, yes.  This behaviour will break all manner of things in hard-to-
> debug ways.

No where in the original feature page does it say periodic cleaning of /tmp happens. In fact the opposite is indicated.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs

The cited blog indicates periodic clean up based on aging, and cites the FHS as saying files in /tmp aren't expected to be needed persistently between two runs of the application.

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/tmp.html

I don't know when the aged based cleaning started, but it isn't expressly stated in the original feature and I'm not finding a followup feature that indicates this change. On the other hand, it sounds like most of the time applications shouldn't use (or depend on) /tmp anyway since they can't depend on any sort of persistence.

Chris Murphy