[OT] Sendmail: Open relay was tested as closed but...

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Apr 21 14:10:07 UTC 2014

Am 21.04.2014 09:12, schrieb Dan Thurman:
> On 04/20/2014 02:00 PM, Dan Thurman wrote:

>> I have F8 and F18. F8 is not affected by HB and F18 is HB
>> fixed (recompiled) and certificates regenerated. Both Fedora
>> versions have the same "open-relay" issues and both have
>> similar or nearly identical sendmail.mc configurations.

You are seriously running 2 obsolete Fedora releases as MTAs exposed to
the public net? Setup security patched platforms for public hosts.

>> Here is my sendmail.mc file and
>> let me know if there is a problem?:
>>
>> <snip!>
>>
>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
> Drop 1 below:
>> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Port=465, Name=MTA-SSL M=s')dnl
> Add 2 below:
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl
>
> So far, the spamming stopped...

You changes are random an do not explain why spammers were/are able to
misuse your Sendmail.

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Port=465, Name=MTA-SSL M=s')dnl

and

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtps, Name=TLSMTA, M=s')dnl

are equal. There is no functional difference. And offering the
additional daemon on the submission port and enforcing authentication
for that service just adds a function and does not fix anything
previously configured.

In fact using submission on port 587 with STARTTLS is the right thing
instead of the obsoleted SMTPS on port 465.

Alexander