Dual Boot Problems

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:05:31 UTC 2014

A few months ago I installed Fedora 20 as dual boot on a new Dell
desktop - one with UEFI. But I got confused while installing it and
set the BIOS to "legacy boot mode" before the installation.

As a result, I have a PC which boots to Grub and Fedora works fine.
However I can't get to the Windows 8 installation and if I switch back
to UEFI boot mode, then the system won't boot at all. This works fine
for me most of the time, but occasionally I want to run Windows on the
system. So I'd like to fix my errors and end up with a real dual-boot
system.

As I see it, my plan should be something like this:

1/ Back up everything important from the Linux partitions.
2/ Use the Windows restore CD to repair the Windows UEFI boot.
3/ Reinstall Fedora using UEFI boot instead of legacy.

I'm hoping that if I note the partitions and directories before I
start, then I'll be able to re-use the same partitions for the same
directories as I currently have. Only my system partition will have
changed and I'll need to reinstall some RPMs.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Is there anything I might be
able to do which will make it easier?

Oh, and the system has an SSD which it uses for booting Windows. Is
there any chance that I install Fedora so that it uses this (but
without disturbing the Windows boot files)?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave...

Dave Cross :: dave at dave.org.uk