Fresh Install of F20 failed to install bootloader

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 07:50:00 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-22 at 20:22 -0400, Jim wrote:
> On 04/22/2014 12:53 PM, Arthur Dent wrote:
>

> I had this same problem.
>  I install F20 on a second drive, Like sdb instead of sda ??
> I put a second drive in computer sdb and installed F20 on it but i
> couldn't boot into F20 sdb it kept going back to F18 on sda, after all
> the work on Grub2, the only way I could get it to work was to put the
> NEW drive in as sda from sdb and original sda with F18 on it  as sdb
> by changing the cables on drives.
> I then reinstalled F20 on sda and walla I can boot up  on F20, F18,
> and Windows 7.
>
> I don't know your configuration but that is how I got into work. LOL!

Well, here's my case. F20 (and indeed F16) ARE on sdb. I used to have
Windows on sda and my various linux partitions on sdb. Long ago I blew
away Windows and use the sda drive as additional storage.

Installing F14,15,&16 on sdb (with nothing bootable on sda) was never a
problem. F20 seemed to be unable to update the bootloader properly (even
though - on a second install, which I watched this time - it said
"Installing Bootloader").

Doing grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and even
grub2-install /dev/sdb from the F20 partition still failed to update it.

The way I eventually got it to work was by downloading the boot-repair
live-CD (http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/) and running
it over the system. I have no idea what it did, but I now have a
bootloader that I can use to boot into F20 (including the latest kernel
- which, by the way doesn't work - but that will have to be the subject
of a different thread...)