Fedora *is* for servers! [was Re: Need advice]

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Apr 23 10:56:26 UTC 2014

Cristian Sava wrote:

>> To me it would be irrational to run Fedora rather than CentOS on a
>> server, since the chances of problems arising would be higher,
>> and I don't see any compensating advantages.
>> I run Fedora on laptops because there is a wider range of apps available,
>> but they are not apps that I would want to run on a server.

> Why "it would be irrational to run Fedora rather than CentOS on a
> server"?

I gave my reasons, above.

> As an example, you have qemu-kvm-1.6.2-1.fc20.x86_64 instead of
> qemu-kvm-0.12.1.2-2.415.el6_5.8.x86_64.rpm, big difference if you
> install a box to host some virtual machines (depending of what you're
> doing).

If in fact there are apps you need to run on a server
that are available on Fedora but not on CentOS
then obviously you should run Fedora.
I don't run virtual machines on my servers,
so the issue you raise does not arise for me.

I'm not quite clear why you would want to run virtual machines on a server?
To me, the basic requirement for a server is that it should provide
the services that are required by laptops, phones and other machines.

One reason for running CentOS on servers in my case
is that the CentOS team seem to put reliability and stability
at the top of their priorities,
while when problems arise under Fedora one always hears the response
that Fedora is a "bleeding edge" project.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net