Fedora *is* for servers! [was Re: Need advice]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 23 14:20:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-22 at 11:59 +0000, Bill Oliver wrote:
> I think being comfy with a distro is a big deal....
>
> Then Mandriva collapsed. I had to get used to Fedora.  When Mageia
> came out, I was tickled pink and immediately installed it -- only to
> find that now I was in the exact opposite position.  I'm now very
> comfy with Fedora, and all the Mageia tools an locations are a pain in
> the ass to get used to.  So, no Mageia for me -- not because it's a
> bad distro, but because I just don't want to be bothered with changing
> stuff just to be changing stuff.

And /that/ is one of the things against Fedora - it keeps on changing,
and quickly, too.  Sure, you've got a fighting chance of being able to
work out the differences between Fedora version x and x+1, but sometimes
they are extreme.  Enough that it's like changing distros, sometimes
even worse.

I find it a nuisance dealing with the changes between releases, when
using it as a desktop computer.  But I find it a complete pain dealing
with services between releases, enough that I have very old releases
still in use, and toy with putting them onto CentOS so I can just leave
it running, and not have to rejig it once or twice a year.

While some might think once or twice a year isn't so bad, I do.  Along
with everything else I have to *manage*, I don't want yet another thing.
And worse is having to help other people cope with these changes.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.11.10-301.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Thu Dec 5 14:21:31 UTC 2013 i686

public lists.