Disable whatever is cleaning /tmp

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Apr 25 17:03:11 UTC 2014

On 04/25/2014 06:05 AM, Tim issued this missive:
> Allegedly, on or about 24 April 2014, Rick Stevens sent:
>> Also note that by default, /tmp is now a tmpfs (RAMdisk) thing, so any
>> info in /tmp will NOT survive a reboot.
>
> What happens when you run out of RAM?  Could that be the cause of /tmp
> being prematurely wiped out?

No, but IIRC the tmpfs filesystem created and mounted on /tmp is 50%
of your system RAM. Once that is committed, it's done. It won't use up
all of your RAM and /tmp won't get any bigger than that, but then again
half of your available RAM is no longer available for program usage.

IMHO using a tmpfs for /tmp is a spectacularly stupid thing to do. How
it got by the vetting process is beyond me.