Disable whatever is cleaning /tmp

Justin Brown justin.brown at fandingo.org
Fri Apr 25 17:38:48 UTC 2014

> IMHO using a tmpfs for /tmp is a spectacularly stupid thing to do. How it got by the vetting process is beyond me.

There shouldn't be anything that uses anything beyond a negligible
amount of storage. Remember that there is no guarantee that /tmp data
is preserved between invocations. Why would there ever be a
significant amount of data stored there?

>From two F20 systems:

for i in $(mount -l | grep '^tmpfs' | grep -o '/[^ ]*'); do sudo du -hs $i; done

Server:
0 /dev/shm
720K /run
0 /sys/fs/cgroup
0 /tmp

Workstation:
3.8M /dev/shm
1.1M /run
0 /sys/fs/cgroup
652K /tmp

There are a number of locations for temporary files, which provide
different features. /tmp is on tmpfs because the FSH standard defines
that directory as so transitory that it shouldn't matter. For those
that don't want to use tmpfs, use /var/tmp/. Complaints about this
sort of thing are either a failure of the user or software developer
to keep up to date on the file system standards.