System start halts due to Nvidia drivers

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Sat Apr 26 00:51:20 UTC 2014

Hi Eirik,
     I assume from this you are trying to use the proprietary nvidia
drivers which are not in the Fedora repositories, would this be correct?
Either way, when you system hangs you should be able to press Alt-F1 or
Alt-F7 depending on how your system is configured to start a new session
where you can log in to a new shell, and then look at the xorg log in
/var/log which will then tell you if the nvidia driver you are using is
causing an issue.
     Looking at the guide you have linked to, I have tried the removal
of the nouveau driver via the method documented and was not able to get
it to work. I am using the kmod drivers identified in the guide and have
had no problem with those working. I have also found that if you try to
install a kmod driver that is for an older kernel version to what you
are using, it will not install unless the install can find the matching
older kernel. If you have installed a kmod driver for an older kernel
and you boot into the newer kernel you will definitely get issues where
the system appears to hang, because the nvidia driver you are using must
have been built for the kernel you are using, xorg will fail if it
isn't. If you have multiple kernels listed in your boot menu try booting
with an older kernel to see if that works, which will identify if you
have an nvidia driver - kernel version issue.
     My reading of the xorg log when investigating issues indicates that
it is potentially a bad move to remove the nouveau driver anyway (also
when using the kmod nvidia drivers you don't need to remove the nouveau
driver explicitly anyway) as, if I have read things correctly, when
using the nvidia drivers xorg has a hierarchy of drivers it will try to
use, it will try to use the nvidia driver first, if that fails it falls
back to the nouveau driver, and if that fails I think it falls back to
the vga driver. Also I'm not sure what the acpid package the guide is
suggesting to be installed is, I have never explicitly installed that
package with the drivers, so I'm assuming it is installed by default anyway.

regards,
Steve