Disable whatever is cleaning /tmp

Garry T. Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 04:11:52 UTC 2014

On 4-25-14 10:03:11 Rick Stevens wrote:
> No, but IIRC the tmpfs filesystem created and mounted on /tmp is 50%
> of your system RAM. Once that is committed, it's done. It won't use
> up all of your RAM and /tmp won't get any bigger than that, but then
> again half of your available RAM is no longer available for program
> usage.

That's not true.  Swap will come into play and unreferenced data in
the /tmp files will be paged out in favor of claiming that memory for
other uses.

It's still a win, however.  If and when some file that was paged out
is opened or read again, it will be paged back in.  That can be faster
than normal file I/O.

> IMHO using a tmpfs for /tmp is a spectacularly stupid thing to do.
> How it got by the vetting process is beyond me.

This was discussed in great detail before the change was made.

--
Garry T. Williams