Coding Practice [was Re: Serious OpenSSL vulnerability]

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sun Apr 27 08:05:35 UTC 2014

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 04/26/2014 04:35 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>
>> Depending on what you don't like about current Fedoras, you might try
>> out the XFCE or Mate desktops. They provide an experience similar to
>> Gnome 2. If you have an old graphics card, you will want to use kdm or
>> lxdm instead of gdm.
>
> If you pick Xfce, lightdm is probably your best choice, as it's the one
> you'd get if you did a clean install with Xfce as your only DM.  Using gdm
> pulls in a considerable amount of Gnome cruft, and kdm probably does the
> equivalent.

I wrote about Fedora use on servers in the context of Heartbleed bug.
On desktop, of course, I'm using Xfce now (as I was old Gnome 2 user)
and my friends (which not upgrade their own Fedora distras frequently
and then skipped the gap between Gnome 2 and Mate) are using Mate now.
With lightdm, because it has possibility to choice session language,
which option isn't in gdm (despite the gnome 3 ballast, as You type).
--
Franta Hanzlik