Fedup issue with thunderbird

linuxnutster at videotron.ca linuxnutster at videotron.ca
Sun Apr 27 13:25:57 UTC 2014

On 04/23/2014 08:51 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/23/14 19:40, linuxnutster at videotron.ca wrote:
>> I upgraded to fedora 20 from fedora 19 using fedup. Everything went well except for some weird issues with Thunderbird. The latter is now giving me a pile of weird permission errors and disk space errors. There is 215GB free space, so I know that is not the problem. Obviously this has somethign to do with the permissions on the .thunderbird folder, but I do not have the knoweldge to rectify the problem. Could somebody kindly nudge me in the right direction?
>>

> Since fedup doesn't muck with user files, it is doubtful to be a permission issue on your ~/.thunderbird directory.  Everything under that directory will be owned by your username.  Certainly you can ensure that the files are owned by your username by doing....
>
> chown -R username:usergroup ~/.thunderbird    (using the appropriate values)
>
> You'd be much better served to actually post the actual error messages you are getting as opposed to people assuming what you're seeing and then making suggestions based on assumptions that may not be valid.

I checked the backup copy I made of .thunderbird before upgrading and
the permissions were not the same. I then changed the permissions on the
upgraded folder using info found on mozilla forums, etc... with no
change. The solution seems to be to delete all the folders, sub-folders,
and message filters and rebuild them. I also was extremely pressed for
time, and sent in the email extremely quickly before I could include the
exact message errors. I apologize for the omission(s).