Small Home server - HDD/SDD

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 17:44:02 UTC 2014

HI
I have a small home server (photos, videos, music) that is reaching full
capacity.
It is a 750GB,  partitioned as a 50G OS and 700G Data + swap

The mobo, an Intel  DG31PR mobo has 1 PATA and 4 SATA ports (3GB/s).

Currently it is running FC20, having been continuously upgraded from almost
Fedora 1 I think

I got a 2TB WD red HDD for it.

My plan is to put the OS on a USB stick ( San Disk Low Profile 64GB
SDCZ33-064G-B35 ) and use the whole 2TB for Data. I'd rather not have a
PATA SDD, and I do not want to lose one of the SATA ports.  Eventually I
want to have a system with 4 HDDs, in a Raid 1+0 configuration to prevent
data loss.

I have some questions.
1. I could use ext4 on all HDDs eventually. But I wonder, can I use ZFS?
Specially I would like to have the ability to expand the single HDD into a
Raid once I get the second HDD as painlessly as possible. If I use ext4 I
guess I will have to backup/create raid system/reformat/restore the data. I
have the idea that zfs only needs to be aware that there is a new drive and
it will expand the filesystem accordingly. I'd rather not use LVM. I was
burned by it once.
2. Is the USB OS ok? I do not feel I am losing that much, after all, it is
a system that will be mostly on at home.
3.Should I add hibernation to it? How quickly will it come back from
hibernation if someone requests data?

Is there anything I should know I am not taking into consideration?

Thanks!

JP

--
 /\_/\