Small Home server - HDD/SDD

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:07:02 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. I could use ext4 on all HDDs eventually. But I wonder, can I use ZFS?
> Specially I would like to have the ability to expand the single HDD into a
> Raid once I get the second HDD as painlessly as possible. If I use ext4 I
> guess I will have to backup/create raid system/reformat/restore the data. I
> have the idea that zfs only needs to be aware that there is a new drive and
> it will expand the filesystem accordingly. I'd rather not use LVM. I was
> burned by it once.

Or, you can use BTRFS, which gives you all the advantages of LVM without LVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxWuaozpe2I

Dec 2012
SUSE Enterprise considers BTRFS production-ready
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI0Nzc

March 2014
OpenSUSE 13.2 To Use Btrfs By Default
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTYzNjA

"RHEL 7 will also include the Btrfs file system as a tech preview"
http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/red-hat-enterprise-linux-7-enters-beta.html
FC
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell