Small Home server - HDD/SDD

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Apr 28 18:29:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 14:02:47 -0400,
   Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

>though I can't tell you the steps, it is possible to build a raid-1 array
>using Linux Raid, with only one drive. it'll be in "degraded" mode
>because of only one drive, but you could then easily (??) add a second
>or subsequent drive to the array. Instructions (more or less) abound
>on the web.

It doesn't need to be in degraded mode. You can use the force option to
set it to only have one device. If your going to set it up for an install,
I think you'll need to do that. I don't believe anaconda will let you put
stuff on a degraded array. You'll still need to set it up before running
anaconda, as anaconda will not let you create 1 device arrays.

This won't work for raid 0 and as far as I can tell, mdadm won't let you
add or remove devices from raid 10 arrays either.