KDE using sudo instead of su

Emmett Culley lst_manage at webengineer.com
Wed Apr 30 15:25:58 UTC 2014

I've noticed recently that when I run yumex, or most any other app that needs root permission, from the launcher menu, I am prompted for my user password, instead of the root password. So I assume sudo is being used instead of su.

The "run backend with sudo" is not checked in yumex preferences.  If I set the menu item to execute as root and add --root to the yumex call I get the root pasword request but then yumex doesn't start.

It is interesting that my other workstation works differently. That is, yumex doesn't prompt for the root password until it is about to do something that requires root permissison.  But it is asking for the root password, not my user password, as are all other apps that require root permissions.

Any ideas how to get apps to require the root password instead of my user password?

Emmett