file system compatibility...

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Aug 1 20:09:55 UTC 2014

On Aug 1, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Angelo Moreschini <mrangelo.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I need to use an USB Hard Disk as repository; that is a "subversion repository" that is used in a local network.
>
> This means (for me) that the data wrote inside the HD can be used, in case of emergency, bot on OS Linux both on OS Windows ....
>
> Actually in this Hard Disk (that have ntfs file system) are stored data
> writed from OS Windows XP; and I am not able to read (easily) this data in OS Fedora.
>
> Actually I can read only some directories there... :
> - $RECYCLED BIN
> - RECYCLER
> - System Volume Information
>
> As well it is not the best..., it is not very important for me to lose the data actually wrote in this Hard Disk,
> But  I would be sure that IN THE FUTURE SHALL BE COMPOTIBILITY of usage between Fedora and Windows..
> i.e. I could indifferently use the Hard Disk with Fedora and with Windos..
>
> I think this if possible, using some File System that allow this possibility, by the creation of a special partition on the HD.
>
> What I think is rigth ?
> In case the answer is yes.. with wich File System I have to format this partition ??

Use NTFS. Windows and Fedora will read/write NTFS. It's a journaled file system so it's a bit safer to use than FAT32 (in particular the journal obviates most repairs in case of a crash, so it's usually not necessary to fsck the disk). And also FAT32 has a 2GB file size limitation which can be a problem.

Chris Murphy