file system compatibility...

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 1 22:21:38 UTC 2014

On 08/02/14 05:56, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
> With the NAS devices you can get other set of problems. I have for example been rescuing data from NAS which had sparc processor and it had formatted ext3 in a way that you couldn't read it in Intel processor machines without doing extra things and using drivers in alpha state (and which development had stopped and you needed to compile yourself)
>
> So if going to nas route should check that you can actually get something out of the drives in case of box going bad. Or actually take backups instead of always planning to do them.
> If you don't mind others (Like your more or less friendly spy agencies) to read the code in git repository one way to share the stuff with multiple machine is actually keeping the repo in Dropbox or something similar which actually copies the data to multiple places.

I never worry about losing data should my NAS box hardware go bad.  I live in Taipei and all I would have to do is take it to a shop in the Guang Hua market that sells that brand of NAS and they'll recover the data for free.  One of the many perks of living in a place where "service" is not a dirty word.  :-)

But, yes, every solution comes with its own set of issues.  You just have to weigh them and their probabilities.  For some folks cloud services aren't ideal due to network issues.