no such file or directory using "-" character

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Aug 3 20:56:42 UTC 2014

On 08/03/2014 01:25 PM, g wrote:

> "cd /.../" is not legal.

I don't think that the OP actually used that; he was just using as a
shorthand for an unspecified directory.

>    ]$ cd ...
>    bash: cd: ...: No such file or directory
>    ]$

Not always.  ... is a valid name for a file or directory and I'm told
that there was a time that games used it as a hidden directory under the
directory they were installed in to stash score files.  I've never used
it as a file name, but there was a time when I had ~/... as a directory,
"just because."  In fact, you could easily store your help files under
~/...---... if you really wanted to be silly.