Affordable 802.11n USB dongle that IS supported in Fedora

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 03:38:34 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> I spent 30 min going through all the 'clearance' open boxes at MicroCenter
> today with my notebook, trying to see if any came up as supported.  None
> did.  I went to the section with the unopen items and found the Asus
> claiming Linux support.  So much for that; looks like you have to build it
> yourself and hope for the best.
>
> So is there a USB 11n dongle that IS supported and can be had for < $20?
> Actually an external antenna is a plus as it will be on a server that at
> times will be a client and times an AP.

You cannot determine if a usb wifi dongle is supported by linux by
just plugging it in, nor by brand name.
You have to know the chipset inside it.

For example, see
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers
and since you are looking specifically for USB dongles, see
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB