Perhaps off-topic -- multiple buffers in the command line?

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Mon Aug 4 06:13:03 UTC 2014

On Sunday, August 03, 2014 10:25:16 PM T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Bill Oliver <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:
> > I apologize if this is not Fedora-specific, but I've got a desktop
> > question. When I want to save some text, I'll highlight it and hit ctl-c
> > or to copy it or ctl-v to paste it.  Is there anything analogous to
> > "named registers" in vim that will allow me to copy into different
> > buffers (or, in vim, registers) so I can grab and paste from multiple
> > instances?
> >
> > If it makes a difference, I'm running Fedora 20 with KDE 4.
>
> Klipper is included with the Fedora KDE spin by default, and while it
> doesn't really have _named_ registers it does save a list of the last
> N items you copied and makes them available for easy pasting.  For
> more information, see:
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kde-workspace/klipper/
>
> If that doesn't quite fit your needs there are of course a multitude
> of other options:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/clipboard
>
> -T.C.

I have set Klipper to save 500 entries. It is triggered with a Ctrl+` on my
system. And you could search through the Klipper history just by typing. If
you enable "synchronize primary selection with clipboard" you will never have
to do Ctrl-C to copy just select and it will be copied. And then you can
trigger Klipper anywhere your mouse is by using shortcut Ctrl+`, search and
paste.

--
Sudhir Khanger,
http://sudhirkhanger.com