Sendmail problem

Kevin Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Aug 5 14:37:28 UTC 2014

Starting at some point during the day on July 30, my outgoing emails
have been queueing up on my Fedora 19 server with some strange messages:

> # mailq
> 		/var/spool/mqueue (1 request)
> -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
> s75EJYwb013189*    3981 Tue Aug  5 10:19 <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net>
>                  (Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.localdomain.homeip)
> 					 <recipient at gmail.com>
> 		Total requests: 1

It takes a manual flush (/usr/local/bin/runq, where runq is a script to
run: sendmail -q) to send them out.

Initially I thought this was a name server problem, but even after
adding entries to /etc/hosts for localhost.localdomain.homeip.net (to
point to 127.0.0.1) my sent emails keep queueing up and not being sent
out.  But I can now flush them manually.

Any ideas what is wrong?  And why is localhost.localdomain being
prepended to my local domain name in the mqueue?  I'm fairly sure this
is my problem.  What happened on July 30th?  My yum logs show that no
updates were applied between July 28 @ 22:46 and August 2 @ 00:50, but
my outgoing emails started hanging up on July 29 or 30th....

I have resorted to adding a crontab entry to flush my mailq every 5
minutes in the meantime.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net