Fedora support for the Asus ,> N-150 usb wifi adapter

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Aug 5 16:05:19 UTC 2014

> Robert Moskowitzwrote
>>  Ed Greshko wrote:
>>>On 08/04/14 08:19, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>>OK.  It is in another F20 box, but as this is a one liner, I can type it over here...

>> note that looking athttp://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/rtl819x  I don't see a reference to RTL8188su only r8188eu (rtl8188eu) and that driver is only in "staging".

> thanks but this still is getting the warning in messages that ouldn't
> find support for the device, and ifconfig does not list it.

Realtek chipsets are like D-Link chipsets. And it is hard to find the
correct one.

The page at wireless.kernel.org does not list the RTL8188SU chipset. I
found (somehow) some time ago that the proper driver is the r8712u
chipset. If you have it installed (which may take a download and copy to
/lib/firmware  etc. then the ASUS-N10 is recognized and the module
loaded on insertion. Works like a charm, including when I tested at a
friend's place where he has an N speed router.

The only place which seems to list and cross-reference all of the
Realtek chipset variants is here:

https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x    which is based on, but extends the
wireless.kernel.org page.

The rtl8192su driver (which is still a work in progress apparently) is
intended to replace the r8712u driver, and may be worth testing.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury