Cannot make a copy of video DVD with k3b

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Thu Aug 7 18:52:34 UTC 2014

On 08/07/2014 12:11 AM, antonio montagnani issued this missive:
> Joe Zeff ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on 07/08/2014 08:34:
>> On 08/06/2014 11:31 PM, Doug wrote:
>>> This is not an answer, but a question: Is there a bit-by-bit copy
>>> program that will copy _anything_ exactly, including encoding. so that
>>> Antonio's last
>>> comment becomes moot?
>>
>> You should be able to do that with dd.
>
> of course I solved as suggested changing the image folder....but in my
> opinion for a new Linux user it should not happen to have to change any
> k3b setting as it should work immediately or to have to use dd. Please
> note that this is a fresh Fedora 20 installation and it is the first
> time that I wanted to make a DVD copy on this machine (it didn't happen
> for example in F18 or F19 on another machine)

This is because of the (in my opinion) extremely idiotic switch from a
real, disk-based /tmp directory to a contrived tmpfs filesystem mounted
at /tmp. They didn't bother telling you they were going to do this
unless you read the release notes carefully, they just did it.

The system, by default, sucks up 50% of your RAM to commit to this
harebrained concept of using a memory-based /tmp. So, your /tmp is
only 50% of the size of your RAM, and half your RAM is committed to this
moronic concept. I don't want half my RAM used for this.

The excuse offered by the creators of this lunacy is to the effect that
"applications are supposed to use /var/tmp instead." The vast majority
don't. End of story. This tmpfs-on-/tmp stuff has broken far more
applications than I care to count.

The fix is to "systemctl mask tmp.mount" and reboot your system. This
will leave /tmp pointing at your hard disk. I've done it on all my
systems.