Command line for creating partitions

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Aug 7 20:29:39 UTC 2014

On 08/07/2014 03:13 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 08/07/2014 08:45 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> I am working now more on handcrafting my SD cards for arm testing.
>> Gparted did not do a good job, allowing me to make parititions not on
>> 'cylinder boundaries'.  And the labels it created were not recognized
>> when I mounted the drive.  I had to use the disk utility to fix the
>> labels.  Anyway, to script it and to put this up on some wikis, I really
>> need to do this by command line.
>>
>> So I have looked at both fdisk and parted.  Neither are for 'simple'
>> command lines.  Fdisk takes me back to my DOS days (wonder where MS got
>> it from?).
>>
>> So first I want a command that will delete all partitions on /dev/sdb
>>
>> then create a partition as ext3, then one as linux-swap, and finally
>> ext4.  Of course, I understand how many MB I want each, but I am suppose
>> to (or so from the warnings that 'fdisk -l' provided) maintain boundaries.
>>
>> thanks for any pointers to the best tool(s) for this.  So far my search
>> foo has only gone to old fdisk pages.
>>
> Hi Robert,
>
> have a look at /sbin/cfdisk

OK.  One more to study.  I was also told about gdisk.

But all of these are command menu programs.  Not one-liners.  The nice
'one-liners' in kckstart files are just commands to anaconda, it seems.
No such program and 'clearpart' or 'part'.  Though I suppose I could
deal with a program that read a command file of such commands.