Cannot make a copy of video DVD with k3b

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Aug 8 03:58:52 UTC 2014

On 07Aug2014 15:15, ed greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>On 08/07/14 15:11, antonio montagnani wrote:
>> Joe Zeff ha scritto / said the following    il giorno/on 07/08/2014 08:34:
>>>
>>> You should be able to do that with dd.
>>
>> of course I solved as suggested changing the image folder....but in my opinion for a new Linux user it should not happen to have to change any k3b setting as it should work immediately or to have to use dd. Please note that this is a fresh Fedora 20 installation and it is the first time that I wanted to make a DVD copy on this machine (it didn't happen for example in F18 or F19 on another machine)
>> Tnx to all
>
>The "reason" it happened was probably due to changes which means /tmp is now mounted as tmpfs.
>
>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs
>
>You may want to consider writing a bugzilla asking to change the defaults of k3b to use /var/tmp.

Or you could just ask k3b to use a different temp directory.

Many programs will honour the $TMPDIR environment variable, which I personally
tend to set to $HOME/tmp.

I do not know if k3b pays it any attention, but you can try:

   $ mkdir $HOME/tmp
   $ TMPDIR=$HOME/tmp k3b

Regarding /tmp as tmpfs being "idiocy", many platform do this. Solaris used to
years and years ago. It makes /tmp really fast. And really, /tmp is for small
stuff and is meant to be cleaned out regularly.

No matter how big it is, some tasks will exceed what /tmp offers. Take control:
use a temp dir of your own for big stuff. DVDs are still big.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

The English-speaking world may be divided into those who
neither know nor care what a split infinitive is, those who
don't know, but care very much, those who know and approve,
those who know and condemn, and those who know and distinguish.
- H. W. Fowler