SOLVED? - Re: Command line for creating partitions

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Aug 8 10:29:01 UTC 2014

I am learning how to use parted in command line format. Unfortuately
there is no such command to delete all partitions, though you kind of
can do it by changing the table type, say from msdos to gpt.

Also learned that the unused 4Mb I am seeing on most SD cards is for a
reason.  To get on the 4Mb alignment for performance reasons.  So here
is some things that I have figured out:

parted /dev/sdb mklabel gpt
parted /dev/sdb mkpart offset fat32 0 4
parted /dev/sdb mkpart uboot ext3 4 516

But it is still acting strange. Print is showing that ext3 partition fat32!

# parted /dev/sdb mkpart uboot ext3 4 516
Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.

[root at lx120e ~]# parted /dev/sdb print
Model: Generic- Multi-Card (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 7969MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name    Flags
  1      17.4kB  4000kB  3983kB               offset
  2      4194kB  516MB   512MB   fat32        uboot