how to disable tmpfs

Dennis Kaptain dennis.kaptain at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 15:32:15 UTC 2014

While lurking on the list, I learned in a thread "Cannot make a copy
of video DVD with k3b" that the way fedora is configured, tmpfs will
consume 50% of my RAM and mount itself in /tmp. If you have gobs of
RAM I suppose you'd never miss it unless you are doing serious video
editing or something like that.

My system has only 3GB of RAM and it does appear that 1.5GB is now a
tmpfs. I really don't have that to spare. I do have a 5GB /tmp
partition on a physical HDD that I thought I had been using for years.
Only now did I learn that I'm not.

Rick Stevens suggested  "systemctl mask tmp.mount"  as a fix. I tried
that and then I couldn't log in. It turns out, that command will make
my / partition read only. I googled it and discovered that someone
else had the same problem. There was no answer to that thread. You can
fix this by "mount -o remount,rw /" and then issuing "systemctl unmask
tmp.mount" and rebooting again.

I tried editing the entry in /etc/fstab from

UUID=996d5f64-0745-4af7-9260-559d5c66c7bd /    ext4    defaults       1 1

UUID=996d5f64-0745-4af7-9260-559d5c66c7bd /    ext4    defaults,rw    1 1

but that still didn't mount / rw.

So, how do I turn off fedora's tmpfs forever so I can use my physical
/tmp partition and not consume all my valuable RAM? Or stated
otherwise, how do I disable tmpfs AND keep / read-write?

Thanks,