Strange parted behaviour

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Fri Aug 8 16:38:41 UTC 2014

On 08/08/2014 06:21 AM, Robert Moskowitz issued this missive:
> So I am making progress but saw a strange bit.
>
> #parted /dev/sdb mkpart uboot ext3 4 516
>
> # parted /dev/sdb print
> Model: Generic- Multi-Card (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sdb: 7969MB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name    Flags
>   1      4194kB  516MB   512MB   fat32        uboot
>
> I formated it with:
>
> #mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb1
>
> # parted /dev/sdb print
> Model: Generic- Multi-Card (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sdb: 7969MB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name    Flags
>   1      4194kB  516MB   512MB   ext3            uboot
>
> So why did parted mislabel the partition?

I don't think "uboot" is a valid partition type--it should be
"primary", "logical" or "extended". Thus the format of the command
should have been:

	# parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary ext3 4 516
	# parted /dev/sdb name 1 uboot

I've noticed that parted sometimes makes some weird decisions if
parameters it expects are missing or mis-specified.
- A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Rainier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -