FC 20 and new skype?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 21:03:15 UTC 2014

On Sat, 09 Aug 2014 12:53:05 -0700
Paul Erickson <va7nt at telus.net> wrote:

> Yes that is the version I am referring to, but when I execute it, the
> heading still reads version 4.2 and when I try to login, the
> connection is refused.
>
> Did you have to remove the previous version, if so, what process did
> you use to do that?

It depends how you installed the previous version. In my case, I
downloaded the Fedora 16 rpm (it was for i586 or something...) from the
Skype website, did a yum localinstall ./skype-<whatever>.rpm, and yum
took care of everything. After that, version 4.3 Just Works(tm).

The point here is that I have previously used the same method to
install v4.2, so it got upgraded automatically. If you installed the old
version by some other method, like unpacking the tarball into /opt, you
have to remove it manually.

// As a side note, this kind of situation is a textbook example why rpm
is preferred over tarballs... //

The second thing you should check is that you have actually exited the
old version. Closing down the Skype window isn't enough, you need to
find it in the system tray (or whatever is the equivalent for your DE),
right-click and choose "quit" from the menu. Or do a "killall skype"
in the terminal. Then start it again and verify which version is
running.

You can also do a "which skype" to figure out what binary is being used
when you start it. It will probably say /usr/bin/skype, so then you can
do a "ls -l /usr/bin/skype" and "file /usr/bin/skype" to see if it is an
actual binary, a symbolic link to something else, or a bash script
which invokes the binary internally. Either way, you will be pointed to
the location of the actual binary. Delete it, and reinstall the 4.3
version (preferably using yum).

HTH, :-)
Marko