This might be OT - install from live CD to SSD

lists at colorremedies.com lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Aug 11 17:51:30 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-11 09:59, Joe Feely wrote:
> Trying to install Fedora 20 to a replacement Kingston SSDNOW300V 120
> GB SSD, from the live CD (Mate DE spin). The previous similar SSD died
> after 4 months excellent use.
>
> My hardware is a bundle consisting of:-
> Motherboard - Asrock FM2A75 Pro 4+  with CPU an AMD trinity A4 5300,
> and 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
>
> What's happening:-
> On starting the bios (UEFI) can see the SSD (even displays the S/N);
> within UEFI is the only time I can see the SSD.
> Fedora 20 live CD boots up ok (bar can't see the SSD), and following
> the option to install to hard drive it can't see any hard drive.
>  (I tried with Linux Mint 16, and the same problem).
>
>  A friend has successfully connected to the drive via an external SSD
> reader (connected by USB 3), and used a program "Partition wizard 8"
> to format it, and copy and read some files successfully (he was
> running Windows 7).
>
> Any ideas what I could try ?

Look in the firmware setup to see what drive options you have, look for
whether it's attempting to set it up as a firmware RAID device.

And in any case boot the installer media again, get to a shell and
capture and post the following: dmesg, /tmp/storage.log, lsblk. What
you're describing doesn't sound like it's either partitioning or
formatting related, the installer should see the device no matter how
it's partitioned or formatted.