A tool for Ext? partitions.

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Aug 15 03:31:20 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 08:55:12PM -0600, jd1008 wrote:
> Need a tool that can scan an entire drive (which has no partition
> table - as it got accidentally clobbered by dd'ing 512 bytes into
> it), and determine start and end of ext(2/3/4) partitions.
> I need this so that I can restore each ext? partition to a separate HD.
> So far I have found a windows based tool from EaseUS.com , but is
> not open source and
> is not free.

a few years ago I wrote a DOS partition table over the top of
a USB drive containing an ext3 or ext4 partition, holding a couple
hundred gigs of my son's anime collection. one could deduce that
he wasn't happy.

I found a program named something like "recover disk" or something
like that for sale for a reasonable price (39.95??? comes to mind),
from some outfit in India. they offered versions for windoze and
for linux, and both could allegedly recover stuff from ext partitions.

so I bought it, and with some head-banging managed to recover all
the important files.

I can dig around to see if I can find the actual name and/or a
URL, let me know if you want.

Fred

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."