HD Video editing

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 22 10:05:08 UTC 2014

On 08/22/14 17:41, Anders Wegge Keller wrote:
>  Which video editing software is capable of editing HD video? I understand
> that there are complications wrt. patents, so I know I'll probably have to
> build it myself. That's not a big deal, but I'd rather not have to try out
> several different packages, before finding somethuing that's suitable.
>
>  The files are made with a Sony handycam (HDR-CX115E), and for reference,
> I've uploaded a short clip of raindrops on my patio table, in case there are
> more than one HD format to choose from:
>
> <http://wegge.dk/Sample.CPI> -- Clip information.
> <http://wegge.dk/Sample.MTS> (10MB) -- The actual clip.
>
>  I'd be happy to hear what others are using to edit similar files.

A quick test shows that avidemux can edit the file.  I've not checked to see if some components from RPM Fusion are required.  And, I've not check to see if there is any loss in quality when standard defaults are used to "copy" the video.

Seems "file" doesn't recognize the magic in the original

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ file Sample.MTS
Sample.MTS: data

But after a "copy" using the defaults

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ file Sample.copy
Sample.copy: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 1440 x 1080, >30 fps, video: H.264 X.264 or H.264, audio: Dolby AC3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ ll Sample.MTS Sample.copy
-rw-rw-r--. 1 egreshko egreshko 11824234 Aug 22 18:01 Sample.copy
-rw-rw-r--. 1 egreshko egreshko 12386304 Aug 22 17:52 Sample.MTS