5tFTW: LinuxCon, Fedora Governance/Leadership, Design FAD, F21 Alpha Freeze, and Fedora in Linux Pro Magazine (2014-08-19)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Aug 22 16:59:27 UTC 2014

Reposted from <http://fedoramagazine.org/5tftw-2014-08-19/>.

Fedora is a big project, and it’s hard to follow it all. This series
highlights interesting happenings in five different areas every week. It
isn’t comprehensive news coverage — just quick summaries with links to
each. Here are the five things for August 19th, 2014 (actually posted on
the 22nd, because sometimes life is like that):

LinuxCon!
---------

You may have noticed that this nominally-Tuesday update is actually
appearing on *Friday*. That’s because I’m at LinuxCon North America in
Chicago, and I kept thinking "I’ll have a few minutes to work on that…"
and it turns out, nope.

In any case, a lot of cool stuff going on here, and a lot of Fedora
positivity. My talk on Fedora.next was well-attended and (I think!)
well-received, with a lot of good questions and feedback. There were
also some great related sessions, including Joe Brockmeier’s talk about
Project Atomic (with a Fedora-based live demo), and in general a *lot*
of Fedora users all around.

  * http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-north-america
  * http://sched.co/1jQoySF
  * http://sched.co/1tFUtL4

Fedora Governance and Leadership Structure

I mentioned last week that there was a session on the future of Fedora
governance and leadership at our big Flock conference. As noted last
week, Flock is great for high-bandwidth discussion but not the right
place to actually make decisions, because we can’t possibly get all of
the community in one place (as much as I’d like to!). So, now, there’s
an important followup discussion on the board-discuss list. This
affects us all, so *your* participation is important.

  * http://flock2014.sched.org/event/9d2f47d741d92f1ddf559bb918dcb2d1#.U_dZeUSzC2c
  * http://flocktofedora.org/
  * https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/board-discuss/2014-August/012712.html

Fedora "Design.next" Activity Day
headquarters near Boston, Massachusetts, and as as with all Premier
Fedora Events some travel funding may be available as needed. The
Design Team is an awesome, friendly group with an easy join process,
and if you’d like to get involved and help design the visual and user
experience future of the Fedora, now’s a great time.

  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design
  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAD_DesignTeam_2014
  * https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2014-August/006884.html
  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Premier_Fedora_Events
  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_Design_Team

Fedora 21 Alpha Freeze: Any minute now!
you’re interested in following this sort of thing, even if you’re not a
Fedora developer).

  * https://lwn.net/Articles/605607/
  * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Alpha_Milestone
  * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_compose_request#Test_composes

Fedora in Linux Pro Magazine
----------------------------

Last week, we noted the Free from XP special edition from Linux New
Media, featuring Fedora. Fedora *also* features in Linux Pro Magazine’s
Issue #166, with articles on the Cinnamon and Mate desktops
environments, and the Fedora Robotics Suite included on the DVD. This
is available for order online now and should be in stores soon.

  * http://fedoramagazine.org/free-from-xp-with-fedora/
  * http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/2014/166
  * https://spins.fedoraproject.org/robotics/

Vacation Next Week

I’ll be on vacation next week (and largely offline — time for a break
after a month of travel and conferences!). Since this "Tuesday" update
is running at the end of the week anyway, I think we’ll just have a
5tFTW hiatus, and I’ll update on *all of the things* in early
September.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org             <http://mattdm.org/>
Fedora Project Leader  mattdm at fedoraproject.org  <http://fedoraproject.org/>