F20 is fubar

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Aug 22 21:14:06 UTC 2014

On Aug 19, 2014, at 12:04 PM, davidschaak1 at mobilicity.blackberry.com wrote:

> I was unable to choose extra packages after choosing a de without wiping my chosen de.

I don't understand this. From the F20 DVD installer > Software Selection > Gnome Desktop selected by default. If I check everything under Add-Ons, then click on KDE, pretty much every Add-On in common is selected. For some odd reason LibreOffice isn't, could be a legit bug. If I check everything, then go back to Gnome Desktop, everything is still selected there. I go back and forth between DE's and all add-ons are checked, so it seems like Add-On selection is persistent (sticky) between DE choices.

> After the install, while it did recognize my ASUS N18 wireless usb nic, and load the right driver, it would only load 1 internet page or do only 1 yum install without a reboot.

I'll answer the question I wish you had asked (classic politician's strategy):

It's well understood that wireless is something of a CF on linux in general. So I'd say this is both "Not News" and "yes that sucks." You're probably best off wired for starters to get kernel, wpa_supplicant, NetworkManager and their dependencies updated.

> It is good that the networking comes up on boot, however it would be nice, when the system encountered a nfs mount in the fstab, it would mount them before completing the boot process.

This might be better setup with systemd.mount or systemd.automount than with fstab so that you can specify that networking be pulled in before trying to do the mount. Maybe someone could argue that systemd-fstab-generator should be creating .mount units this way automatically from fstab when the filesystem is NFS, but I don't know a lot about this and is a question for a systemd-devel search.

> After installing firefox, which took 2 attempts, it took 4 reboots to install 4 addons.
>
> The webserver, while it does start on boot up leaves a lot to be desired for speed of loading even after being woke up.
>
> First thing I did was disable selinux and firewalld. I find that they are more pita than they are worth for a server that does not connect to the internet that often.
>
> I tested the system with the kde spin and it worked as expected.
>
> After screwing around for 2 days, I am convinced more of the adage 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Glad to know everything is working now.

Chris Murphy