systemd never starts ntpd.service even though it is enabled

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Aug 24 01:57:35 UTC 2014

For some reason, ntpd.service never starts when one of my laptop boots.

systemctl status ntpd.service says:

ntpd.service - Network Time Service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/ntpd.service; enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

It's enabled. It should start, or at least attempt to start and fail for
some reason. It doesn't even start. After the laptop finishes booting, I can
manually execute systemctl start ntpd.service, and ntpd comes up just fine.

journalctl /usr/sbin/ntpd doesn't report anything, except when I manually
start ntpd after boot.

ntpd.service is unmodified, and identical to my other laptop, and all my
servers, all of which have no issues starting ntpd during boot.

Stumped on this one.