High CPU usage, load average and system temperature

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 17:37:08 UTC 2014

On 08/25/2014 11:05 AM, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> On Monday, August 25, 2014 10:40:10 AM jd1008 wrote:
>> Before we jump to system software issues, I would
>> 1. Check to be sure the cpu fan is functioning and running
>>       at full speed. On my system I always disabled speed control
>>       because I wanted to keep the cpu running cool with or without
>>       heavy loads.
> Like I said fan is working just fine.
>
> fan
> status:         	enabled
> speed:         	4493
> level:          	7
> commands:       level <level> (<level> is 0-7, auto, disengaged, full-speed)
> commands:       enable, disable
> commands:       watchdog <timeout> (<timeout> is 0 (off), 1-120 (seconds))
>
>> 2. Check to be sure the the Graphics chip cpy is also running and at
>>       full speed.
> I already had Nvidia Optimus (NVS 4200) disabled long time ago. I am only
> using Intel HD 3000 (AFAIK).
>
> How do I figure this out?

OK.
So, since you are using a lot of multimedia, it seems to me
that the Intel HD3000 is also incorporated into the CPU.
Thus the very high CPU usage while doing graphical UI's
and multimedia.

Only thing I can suggest is to disable the Intel graphics
and re-enable NVidia. This will reduce the cpu overhead
and heat generation;  and just be sure the Nvidia card's
fan is at full speed.

I would also be sure that you have a full complement of
cabinet fans.

Goo