WiFi permanently disappeared after booting test kernel

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Aug 26 16:33:59 UTC 2014

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 02/01/2013 06:19 AM, Mike Fleetwood wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my netbook I booted a test kernel 3.8.0-rc4+ I compiled.  Now after
>> booting back into my regular Fedora kernel 3.6.11-5.fc17.i686.PAE my
>> wifi network device remains permanently disappeared.  No wifi networks
>> displayed in Network Manager gui.  Also the Network Manager syslog
>> messages make it look like the device has completely disappeared.
>>
>> Suggestions for restoring wifi welcome.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike
>>

>> Fragment of Network Manager syslog messages when working before
>> --8<--
>>
>> Jan 18 23:01:53 edge NetworkManager[479]: <info> WiFi enabled by radio
>> killswitch; enabled by state file
>>

>> Fragment of Network Manager syslog messages when broken after
>> --8<--
>>
>> Jan 28 18:43:26 edge NetworkManager[466]: <info> WiFi disabled by
>> radio killswitch; enabled by state file
>
> yum install rfkill
>
> Then provide the output of "rfkill list"

I once tracked a similar issue down to someone picking up a laptop in such a way
that they hit the hardware disable switch on the front of a laptop, which was a
toggle and went into permanent OFF state. Saw that with the bluetooth switch
togglrf ON as well, tracking down why smart phone battery life went down when
working from home. The laptop was trying to mate with the phone.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>