4 USB TTL uarts on a USB hub - keeping them straight

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Aug 26 17:16:17 UTC 2014

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 08/22/2014 05:06 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 08/22/2014 02:00 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> I found out about the lsusb command.
>>>
>>> It is reporting that they all have the same ID:
>>
>> Of course they do.  They all have the same characteristics so there's nothing
>> to tell them apart until you attach something to them.
> They are by the same company and I bought a lot of 5, so they are the same.  But
> no burnt in USB device number.  Nothing like RFID for USB devices.  Sigh.
>
> Thus I need to bring up screen and get the host to respond to figure out which
> host is which ttyusb.

That sounds wrong. I'm not saying I'm sure it's wrong, but I working on a system
which was using a setup like that for status displays. They found four extra
video screens really confusing to set up, and had some serial terminals around
to use. From memory, they did a rule in
     /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-{something}.rules
and that always gave the right names to the same devices.

I saw this in action, but I didn't set it up, I'm still looking for an easy to
understand doc on multiple monitor setup, because I do it at most once a year
when I get paid to relearn it. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>