F20 is fubar

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Aug 26 17:36:39 UTC 2014

Chris Murphy wrote:

> I'll answer the question I wish you had asked (classic politician's
> strategy):
>
> It's well understood that wireless is something of a CF on linux in general.
> So I'd say this is both "Not News" and "yes that sucks." You're probably best
> off wired for starters to get kernel, wpa_supplicant, NetworkManager and
> their dependencies updated.
>>
>> It is good that the networking comes up on boot, however it would be nice,
>> when the system encountered a nfs mount in the fstab, it would mount them
>> before completing the boot process.

Absolutely true, but honestly I would settle for an option in fstab to manually
provide that info. Just as there is a "noauto" option, an option use-net would
be good, and if something is to be mounted on another filesystem, that should be
delayed, not errored out.

> This might be better setup with systemd.mount or systemd.automount than with
> fstab so that you can specify that networking be pulled in before trying to
> do the mount. Maybe someone could argue that systemd-fstab-generator should
> be creating .mount units this way automatically from fstab when the
> filesystem is NFS, but I don't know a lot about this and is a question for a
> systemd-devel search.

Me, I'll argue that the mounts should all be in fstab and work. I'm not against
options to clarify what I expect, but having to edit a bunch of files really
makes administration complex, which is a synonym for error-prone. I have long
felt that Fedora distro sometimes fails to consider complexity, because
developers deal with one environment and aren't in the real world, with Windows,
AIX, HP-UX, IOS, and maybe firewalls using BSD. Simple and easy to use have a
real impact on TCO for the typical mixed bag of a corporate environment.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>