systemd never starts ntpd.service even though it is enabled

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Aug 26 23:19:12 UTC 2014

Bill Davidsen writes:

> Thomas Horsley wrote:
>> Probably this: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2014-July/
>> 451332.html
>>
> Thanks, this is undoubtedly why I have had to start (or restart) a bunch of
> stuff after the net-fs is working. My rc.local is basically a
> while net-not-up; do
>  sleep 1
> done
> stuff that failed
>
> Have to look and see how hard it is to go back to sysvinit, which is dumb
> but reliable within its limited capabilities.

For me, wait-for-network.service appears to be working fairly reliably. Just
in case anyone wants it, without having to dig through that sordid thread,
save this in /etc/systemd/system, and don't forget to systemctl enable it.
Of course, this will only work until systemd's dependency resolution logic
changes again, with no advance notice:

[Unit]
Description=Wait for network ports to be initialized
Before=network.target network-online.target
After=network.service
Wants=network.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot