ext4 error messages

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Aug 27 02:31:23 UTC 2014

On Aug 23, 2014, at 3:38 PM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an external esata HD (the WD20NPVX) connected to the laptop
> via an esata cable to the esata port of the laptop.
>
> I am getting ext4 errors for that device (/dev/sdb3 which is only mounted partition on that drive),
> and even getting ext4 errors on /dev/sda3 which is the root partition.
>
> Both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are brand new (less than a couple of months old).
>
> The error file is at
>
> https://www.sendspace.com/file/ym076o

A more complete dmesg is best, it might reveal hardware or driver problems responsible for causing this issue in the first place. After the fact, you can get this from journalctl for all past boots with this imperfect command.

journalctl -l -k | grep -i 'ata\|sdba\|sdb\|ext4' | grep -vi selinux

Chris Murphy